De Post Belgian Beer Cafe
Auckland City 09-630 9330 or 0800 FUNCTION
- Mon – Thu 11am - 1am
- Fri 11am – 2am
- Sat 9:30am – 2am
- Sun 9:30am – 1am
- Business Dining
- Live Music
- Private Dining Room
- Private Functions
- Private Parties
- Payment Types: EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Diners
- Price Range: Moderate, $15 - $25
- Dress Code: Casual
- Alcohol: Beer, Wine, Spirits, Cocktails
- Seating for: 160
- Parking: Free On-Street
- Good For Groups: Yes
- Good For Children: Yes
- Takes Reservations: Yes
- Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
- Outdoor Seating: Yes
- Meals: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner
De Post’s sunny upstairs outdoor deck area creates a perfect spot to enjoy the wide range of fine Belgian beers any time of the year.
The authentic European interior was imported from Belgium, to reflect the beautiful Belgian cuisine on offer. You’ll enjoy the fantastic menu offering mussel pots and platters, plus fine meat dishes and a great range of desserts and salads.
The gorgeous vibe of the establishment compliments the rich history of the building, which opened in 1886 as the original Mt Eden Post Office, and was transformed in the year 2000 into De Post Belgian Beer Cafe.
Special functions and parties work well at De Post Belgian Beer Cafe, as the venue includes two separate bar areas plus the sunny outside balcony. Contact 0800 FUNCTION for more info from our function co-ordinator.
19 Reviews for De Post Belgian Beer Cafe
The venue is brill and atmosphere is always pleasant one thing i will say is, beware of mondays, they do their signature mussels for half price and boy do they get a massive crowd in, though they seem to never falter on quality you should expect a wait but patience rewards you with a great feed! iv read the reviews on this place and while some are quite damming i would recommend this place to anyone, its great!
I recommend trying the mussels. My husband loves the dark beer on tap. Thumbs up
* Only ordered 2 entrees for a group of 7, but got 1. After asking twice about where the other one was, the eventual response was “are you sure you ordered it?”
* Another hour passed and still no mains (or the missing entree). Queried 3 times with our waiter who didn’t come back to respond until we asked again. Eventually went inside and complained. Still no action.
* After 1.5 hours, asked to speak with manager. After complaining, received food within 10 minutes. Her service was excellent, and she gave us the meal free of charge.
Unfortunately too little too late – would rather have paid for the meal and enjoyed some service!
Thought it was perhaps a one off terrible experience, but based on recent reviews, it seems to be the norm.
A real shame – great food but appalling service. Won’t be back as it’s an embarrassment to take people there.
The decor is really cool. I love all the woodwork around the historic-styled building, and we enjoyed our window seat upstairs overlooking Mt Eden Rd.
My partner was loving his crepe (he got the $20 lunch deal which meant he got a glass of Blonde Beer included).
We had an efficient and friendly waiter, who served our drinks and meals promptly, and provided a bit of fun banter. Also helped me choose the Seafood Chowder which he very rightly described as amazing.
An excellent spot for a scrumptious lunch.
1) left a msg requesting a reservation. Didn’t hear back and when I called back, was advised that they were having problems with their answer service.
2) arrived and placed our orders. Drinks were served promptly, waiter was pleasant and attentive.
3) 45 mins later, the waiter arrived back at our table and advised that our meals were ready but that they did not have calamari which 3 of our table had order. Alternate orders were taken from these 3 diners and 2 of meals were then served.
3) the poor waiter came back and with another meal and advised that the kitchen had just advised that they did not have any Seafood Waterzooi, which had been ordered. I requested to speak to the manager.
4) after about 10-15 mins manager arrived with the other 3 meals and then asked to speak to the last diner, who had no meal. He also advised that he would not be charging for these 3 meals. I spoke to him and advised that it was unacceptable to be told just before serving that meals were unavailable and that whilst he had waived the charge for the 3 meals, that this was the minimum he could do and he should consider waiving the charge for the other meals as the other guests had been embarrassed and inconvenienced. He didn’t comment and asked me what meal I would like. I asked what could be provided as soon as possible and made my selection from this. He told me that he would get my meal as soon as possible and offered another drink. Subsequently, the waiter arrived and also offered our table free drinks.
5) My salad Nicoise arrived – it had boiled eggs & bacon, salad leaves, bean sprouts, no dressing. These apparently were the ingredients listed on the menu, however, I thought a salad nicoise had salmon, anchovies and olives. Not this one.
6) when we went to pay for our meal, we were charged for the 3 meals that arrived initially and some drinMoreks and the Waterzooi dish which never eventuated. I told the manager that our experience from start to finish was a disaster and being charged for a meal which didn’t arrive, just left a bad taste in my mouth. He apologized for our experience and said he would take care of the bill. We left.
I am so disappointed and angry that what should have been a pleasant evening with friends was marred and spoilt by this incredibly bad level of service. Shame on you De Post, my take away provides better service and food than this. I will definitely not be frequenting this place again.
I am only giving it 1star as its not possible not to give any stars – 1 star is too much for our dining experience tonight.
About half an hour later the loaf arrived. I was given the loaf on a plate – no extra plates were given for my fellow eaters. The bread was ok but was very crusty which made it very hard to cut. The mussels then followed 40 minutes later after several queries with our waiter, which he promised he was chasing up with his manager. There was only one waiter serving about ten tables and he was trying to do a great job, however his manager kept on giving him stern words which all the patrons could easily see. I was told the mussels were great, however we could not figure out what took the kitchen so long to get them out. At approx 8.40 we finally got our meals (two hours after we arrived!) and the vol-au-vents were luke warm (although tasty), the pork belly had tons of fat on it and salmon was tiny. The ravioli was piping hot and looked more like soup than a pasta dish.
At the end of finishing our bottle of wine, we realised that we had actually been served a Pinot Gris! It tasted great but again a reflection of the poor service.
I told the waitress at the counter when we were paying that we were not happy about how long we had to wait. However, we were still charged for everything without an apology from the managers.
So all in all this was the worst restauraMorent experience I have ever had. The meals were tasty however the service has definitely put me off from returning, I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
Judy and David